Kalamazoo City
English Spanish


The City Clerk's Office is responsible for various types of licensing. Read below for a description of those licenses and for fillable forms submittable with the appropriate fee.

Dance Hall License / Public Dance Permit

Dance Hall License

  • For facilities that host more than two public dances per year
  • Authorizes an unlimited number of events
  • Not transferable to another person or location
  • Valid for one year from the date of issuance
  • FEES: $300.00 for an initial one-year license; $100.00 for a license renewal

Public Dance Permit

  • For a specific event at facilities that host one or two dances per year
  • Not transferable from one person to another or one location to another.
  • FEES: $100.00 for the first dance permit issued; $50.00 for the second public dance held at the same facility within one year of the initial dance permit
  • Detailed information is included on the pdf  Public Dancehall and Public Dance Permit Application .

Fireworks Permits (Public Displays)

Anyone interested in a public firework display must obtain this license. Both forms need to be completed.

Going Out of Business License

Any business going out of business or leaving the City is required to have a Going Out of Business license.

Liquor License

Liquor Licenses are coordinated by Detective Brett Pittelkow in the Public Safety Department at 337-8142. All forms and fees should be submitted to the City Clerk.

Newspaper Vendor License

A Newspaper Vendor Licenses is require to operate any type of newspaper vending machine. 

Pawnbroker License

The Ordinance detailing Pawnbroker requirements can be found in Chapter 24 of the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances

Peddler & Transient Merchant Licenses

Peddler License

Transient Merchant License

  • Outdoor Selling in one location on private property not owned by the vendor
  • Requires Zoning Board of Appeals approval for a variance
  • Requires a criminal background check
  • Fees: One week = $50; One month = $150; Six months = $300; One Year = $500
  • pdf  Transient Merchant License Application

More information is provided in this pdf  Peddler/Transient Merchant Informational Brochure .

Pool Table License

Any public business that charges for use of a pool table is required to obtain this license.

Precious Metals & Gems License

Any business that purchases precious metals and/or gems from customers.

Recycling Dealer License

View the Recycling Dealer Ordinance to see the requirements for this license.

Second Hand Dealer License

The Ordinance detailing Secondhand Dealer requirements can be found in Chapter 24 of the City of Kalamazoo Code of Ordinances.

Tag Day License

City ordinance states "no person shall solicit contributions or sell or offer for sale any tags, poppies, buttons, forget-me-nots, flags, ribbons or other like tokens for any charitable, patriotic or other purpose on the streets or in any public place in the City, without obtaining a permit for conducting the solicitation or sale involved.

Vehicle for Hire Business and/or Driver License

Defined as a service that provides transportation based on a per-mile charge.

Other Licenses

There are several other licenses not provided by the City. Below is a listing of where to obtain information for commonly requested licenses.