Kalamazoo City
English Spanish

City Attorney

Clyde J. Robinson, City Attorney 

Robinson-228-308The Kalamazoo City Attorney's Office represents the City of Kalamazoo as a government entity. City staff conducts cases in court whenever the City is a party, and we also prosecute violations of city ordinances. City Attorney staff provide advice to the City Commission, to the City Manager and his staff and to all employees of the City on city-related matters. The City Attorney's Office also provides legal counsel to City Boards and Commissions.

This department provides risk management services, administers loss reduction programs, purchases insurance coverages for identified exposures to loss and administers claims for property damage or personal injury made against the City.

The City Attorney's Office cannot give legal advice or otherwise represent private citizens or citizen groups. However, the City Attorney will be glad to try to answer citizen questions regarding the Kalamazoo City Code of Ordinances and the enforcement of its ordinances, and regarding other city matters.

The City Attorney is the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Coordinator for the City of Kalamazoo. As such, he is responsible for accepting and processing requests for the City's public records and for determining which records are subject to release and which records are exempt from release.

  1. Requests for police reports should be send to the Records Division, Kalamazoo Public Safety Department, 150 E. Crosstown Parkway, Kalamazoo, MI 49001

  2. Requests for other public records may be sent to the Kalamazoo City Attorney at 241 W. South Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49007-4707. The City Attorney's Office has created a form to use when requesting a public record: FOIA Request Form. After filling out the form, you can either print it and mail it to us, or send it to us via email at cokattorney@kalamazoocity.org. The City will charge a fee for locating, reviewing and copying a public record.


For more information about the City Attorney's Office, call us Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (269) 337-8185 or send us an email at: cokattorney@kalamazoocity.org

Helpful Links

  • Kalamazoo County Courts: Both the Eighth District Court and Ninth Judicial Circuit Court serve the City and County of Kalamazoo
  • Kalamazoo County Bar Association: This site can assist you with lawyer referral and with legal outreach clinics
  • Legal Aid of Western Michigan: Provides counsel and advice--including phone intake, advice brief service; also provides representation in cases with administrative agencies and in other matters in Michigan courts