Other than the exceptions listed below, all development projects in Kalamazoo are required to undergo the site plan review and approval process. This ensures ensures that a proposed development, land use, or activity meets the standards of the zoning ordinance and any applicable state or federal statutes. Site plans are reviewed by the Site Plan Review Committee, established in § 11.4 of the Zoning Ordinance. Our site plan review process was recently redeveloped with input from area contractors, developers, architects and engineers that participate in the process.
There will be no site plan review meetings on May 25, July 7, or August 3.
Does my project require site plan review?
All projects require site plan review, except:
- One- or Two-Family Dwelling: The development or expansion of a one-family or two-family dwelling unit.
- Dwelling Unit in Mobile Home Park: Placement of a dwelling unit in an approved mobile home park.
- Internal Construction Not Increasing Intensity or Parking Requirement: The internal construction or change in the floor area of a structure that does not increase gross floor area, increase the intensity of use or affect parking requirements on a site that meets all development and site design standards of this Ordinance.
- Site Clearing Within Area Less Than 1/2 Acre: Grading, excavation, filling, soil removal, creation of ponds or clearing of trees within an area of less than 1/2 acre in size.
- Temporary Uses
- Minor Development or Expansion: Expansion or new structures up to and including 250 square feet in area.
*Zoning Ordinance 8.2.H.3 Exceptions (page 204)
01 Pre-Application Meeting
Meet with staff to:
- learn about Site Plan Review
- ask questions about your project, process, & the pdf Site Plan Review Checklist (162 KB)
- verify review from other City Boards & Commissions is not required
- finalize the Site Plan Review submittal
Required Documentation: pdf Pre-Application Questionnaire (163 KB)
Contact: Bobby Durkee (269) 337-8172 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
02 Prepare Your Plans
Use the Site Plan Review Checklist to guide the development of plans and documentation. Incomplete submittals will NOT be schedule for review. Please ask staff, if you are unclear on what is required for your project.
Digital submission of the application, plans, & the checklist are required in a PDF format. In addition, please also submit 1 set of reduced plans (11”x17”).
Fees are due at the time of submittal.
If the submittal is complete, a Site Plan Review Committee meeting will be scheduled (a sample timeline can be found here). Most cases are scheduled for review 3 weeks after a complete submittal.
03 Site Plan Review Committee Meeting
Site plans are reviewed by a committee comprised of multiple City Departments, including Community Planning & Economic Development & Public Services. For most projects, the time between submittal of a complete application to a Site Plan Review Committee Meeting is three (3) weeks. Large projects may require additional time; this can be determined during the Pre-Application Meeting.
Comments from the Committee’s review will be provided to you in advance of the Site Plan Review Committee meeting. Plan revisions based upon these comments are not required before the meeting, but are intended to ensure a productive discussion and meeting.
Site Plan Review Committee meetings take place at 415 Stockbridge on Wednesday mornings.
Required Documentation: Fee, pdf Application, Checklist, Plans, and Other Supplemental Documents (162 KB)
Contact: Bobby Durkee (269) 337-8172 or email@example.com
04 Revised Site Plan
After the Site Plan Review Committee meeting, a summary will be sent to guide plan revision.
If revised plans, based upon Committee comment, are submitted within one (1) month, they will be reviewed within five (5) business days. If submitted later than one (1) month, review of the revised plans will take ten (10) business days.
05 Final Site Plan
Approval of the Site Plan will be noted by a letter of approval and signed plans. NO permits for construction or site preparation will be awarded prior to Site Plan approval.
06 Provide Feedback
06 Provide Feedback
After your Site Plan Review has been completed, please let us know how your experience was. We are always looking for ways to improve our processes and make things easier and your feedback is invaluable. Please take our brief feedback survey here. The survey takes approximately two minutes to complete.